Brazo de Mercedes is a type of rolled cake (sometimes referred to as jelly roll) made from a
sheet of soft meringue with custard filling. This heavenly cake can be considered as one of the
all-time favorites in the Philippines.What I like most about this cake is the sponge like texture
of the meringue that literally melts in my mouth. The light flavor of the meringue is balanced
by the flavor of the rich custard filling. This is truly amazing!
Most of you might be thinking that this rolled cake is hard to create; you might be surprised
how easy it is to make your own Brazo de Mercedes after reading this post and watching the
cooking video. I won’t extend the introduction because I know that most of you are eager to
start working on this project (I am getting at least 17 requests per day for this recipe).
Brazo de Mercedes Recipe
10 large raw eggs, yolks and whites separated
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
14 ounces condensed milk
1. Combine egg whites and cream of tartar then beat using an electric mixer until soft peaks
2. Make the meringue by gradually adding the granulated sugar while mixing the ingredients.
Continue mixing until the texture is semi-firm.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Place wax paper on top of a cookie sheet or large rectangular baking pan and grease the
5. Place the meringue on top of the greased wax paper then spread evenly using a spatula.
6. Bake the meringue for 20 to 22 minutes or until the color of the top part turns light to
7. While the meringue is in the oven, make the filling by combining the egg yolks and
condensed milk in a small cooking pot. Apply heat and cook the mixture while continuously
stirring until the texture becomes thick.
8. Add the vanilla extract to the condensed milk and egg yolk mixture, turn off the heat, and
mix thoroughly. Set aside.
9. Remove the meringue from the oven and cool down for a few minutes.
10. Sprinkle the confectioners sugar on top of the meringue then place wax paper on the top
part of the meringue followed by a similar sized baking pan or tray. The meringue should now
be in the middle of two baking trays.
11. Flip the meringue: the new cookie sheet/baking tray placed on top should now be below.
Remove the baking tray and the wax paper (you should now see the opposite side of the
baked meringue) then spread the filling (cooked egg yolks, condensed milk, and vanilla extract
mixture) over the meringue.
12. Roll the meringue. Complete rolling side to side starting at the longest side. Make sure
that the layer with filling is rolled inward.
13. Transfer to a serving plate then serve.
14. Share and enjoy!
Wow...youre Hired!Click Here!